Peter Gregg’s legal career has been devoted to representing clients in environmental regulatory and litigation matters. His practice includes a focus on environmental issues involving waste management and contaminated properties, including state and federal CERCLA matters, RCRA corrective action and compliance counseling, transactions involving contaminated properties, and counseling on state and federal regulatory cleanup programs. He also represents clients on all manner of air, water, waste management, and water and wastewater utility regulatory issues (permitting, enforcement, and general compliance matters).
Mr. Gregg began his career at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), where he provided program development and legal/litigation support for various air, water quality, and industrial and hazardous waste programs. He spent several years as in-house environmental counsel at international energy company El Paso Corporation prior to returning to private practice in Austin as a partner in a national environmental law firm. During his years in private practice he has represented national and international clients within the chemical, petroleum refining, and oil and natural gas production, processing and transportation industries, among others, as well as various local and regional manufacturing and utility interests.
Mr. Gregg is a former Chair of the Texas Bar’s Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section and a former Chair of the Houston Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, Woodward/White, Inc. (2009-2016) and The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation-Environmental, Woodward/White, Inc. (2011-2016). He is AV Peer Review Rated.
University of Houston Law Center (J.D. 1992)
University of Texas at Austin (B.A. – Philosophy; 1989)
Texas State Courts
U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern District of Texas
District of Columbia
- Chapter 1 (“Overview”), Texas Environmental Law, Volumes 45 and 46, West Group’s Texas Practice Series
- “Doing the Deal from the Environmental Perspective” – 28th Annual Outlook for Texas Land Markets (April 2018)
- The Intersection of Railroad Commission, Regulation and Groundwater Protection. Texas Alliance of Groundwater Districts (June 2017)
- “EPA’s Environmental Justice Program” – Air & Waste Management Association EM magazine (January 2013)
- “Environmental Legal Issues Associated with Oil & Gas Production in Shale Formations” – State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Houston (June 2012)
- “Carbon Storage: Texas Stakes its Claim” – ABA’s Natural Resources & Environment (Fall 2010)
- “Environmental Justice – Where Are We Now” (Defense Research Institute’s For the Defense)
- “E&P – A Legal Overview” – 22nd Annual Environmental Superconference, State Bar of Texas, Austin (August 2010)
- “Rail Crossing: Life After BNSF Railway Company v. U.S.” – Texas Environmental Law Roundtable (November 2009)
- “Change is in the Air – Environmental Regulation under the Obama Administration” – Brown and Caldwell Client Seminar (January 2009)
- “Superfund Case Law and Program Update” – Texas and Federal Environmental Law Roundtable (November 2008)
- “Administrative Case Law Update” – 20th Annual Environmental Superconference, State Bar of Texas, Austin (August 2008)
- “Enforcement Trends and Administrative Penalties” – 10th Annual Advanced Administrative Law Seminar
- “Updating the Clean Air Act” – American Bar Association
University of Texas Environmental Science Institute (Advisory Council)
State Bar of Texas Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section (Former Chair)
Houston Bar Association Environmental Law Section (Former Chair)
American Bar Association (Section of Environment, Energy and Resources)
Austin Bar Association (Environmental Section)
District of Columbia Bar
Air & Waste Management Association
Houston Bar Foundation Fellow
Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
Houston Bar Association Lawyers Against Waste Committee (Former Chair)
Representing clients to successful conclusion in state and federal Superfund cost-recovery and contribution matters in Texas and across the country.
Coordinating the environmental due diligence activities and structuring, drafting and negotiating the environmental components of multi-million dollar energy and other industry acquisitions, divestitures, and other transactions.
Advising and counseling clients on Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act and RCRA matters, including waste determination and waste management issues.
Managing an international energy company’s nationwide MTBE MDL groundwater contamination and products liability lawsuits.
Counseling industrial and commercial clients on complex, multi-million dollar contaminated property cleanups across the country.
Counseling and representing local, national, and international clients before TCEQ and EPA on the issuance, transfer and modification of Texas and federal air, water and waste permits.
Representing numerous, diverse clients against TCEQ, EPA, and Harris County, Texas civil and criminal environmental enforcement actions.
General air, water and waste environmental regulatory counseling to all manner of Texas business interests.